Whether you hear temporary retail, flash retailing, pop-up store, or pop-up shop, it is all one and the same. Pop-up shops are taking over the retail world and rethinking traditional brick-and-mortar and big-box stores, but what exactly is a shop that ‘pops up’?
Introduced as early as the 1990s in large urban cities such as London, Los Angeles, Tokyo and New York City, pop-up shops and pop-up retail are temporary retail spaces that sell merchandise of any kind. That’s right, just about every consumer product has been sold via a pop-up shop at one point in time. From art to fashion to tech gadgets and food, pop-up stores are exciting because they create short-term stores that are as creative as they are engaging. And, they come in all shapes and sizes.
- Term: typically 3 days to 3 months.
- Location: high foot-traffic areas such as city centers, malls, and busy streets.
- Price: much lower than a traditional store, typically paid upfront.
- Use: to launch a new product, generate awareness, move inventory, introduce collaborations, increase ‘cool’ factor.
What are the benefits of a pop-up shop?
- Connect with customers: The pop-up retail format allows you to personally get to know your customers and build stronger relationships.
- Sell more: About 95% of all purchases are still completed offline. This is your opportunity to take advantage of this retail channel.
- Build awareness: Consumers and the media love the excitement generated by pop-up shops. Build awareness by going offline!
- It’s cheaper: Launching a pop-up shop is 80% cheaper than a traditional retail store
- Test new markets: Easily enter a new market and launch new products
Who can start pop-up shop?
The short answer: everyone. Big name brands, including FILA and Danone have tested out the pop-up concept, as well as local artists, makers and fashion designers who have all become increasingly popular in the pop-up scene. Even mobile food trucks, designer fashion houses and vintage pop-up stores have been spotted around cities like New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.
Where can you find the perfect pop-up store space?
Right here! Thanks to Storefront, you can now find the perfect short-term space in just 3 clicks. Lofts, retail spaces, apartments, malls… you’ll find all space types from $50 a day.
Can you remember a time when a platform like Storefront didn’t exist? What used to take a lot of time and money (typically a few months just to find a space) is now something you can do in minutes.
Just go to Storefront’s website, look for your market and location, and send a message to the landlord. All our spaces on Storefront are open for short-term rentals. Moreover, we take care of the insurance!